I recently gave Kindle Select a try and enjoyed some pretty amazing results. I offered my new romance novel, Nickels, free for a Wed. and Thurs. During those days, it had over 29,500 downloads in 6 countries. It ranked #3 on overall Kindle Free best seller list, #1 in Kindle Free Fiction, #1 in Religious Fiction, and #1 in Contemporary Romance.
In the first two days following the free days, I sold over 700 copies and had over 190 borrows from Prime members. My sales ranking has gone as high as #125 in Kindle Paid and #1 in Religious Fiction.
How did I do it? By maximizing the use of my free days and promoting like crazy.
Here’s my checklist to help make the most of your Kindle Select Free Days.
Before Your Free Days
1. Sign up for KDP Select.
2. Schedule your free days. Consider scheduling on a Wed / Thurs or just Thurs to capitalize on the exposure. Big sales days in a week are Fri, Sat, Sun. So don’t give it away free on those days.
3. Send requests to following to get your free book listed. Do this a few days ahead of time to give the site owners time to post your book.
- All Things Kindle (FB) http://www.facebook.com/allthingskindle?sk=wall – Be sure to read the Info page for directions on how to get listed.
- Pixel of Ink www.pixelofink.com
- Kindle Boards www.kindleboards.com (under Book Bazaar)
- Digital Book Today www.digitalbooktoday.com
- World Literary Café www.worldliterarycafe.com – does monthly lists of Kindle freebies – does monthly lists of Kindle freebies
4. Add a Goodreads event and send it to all of your Goodreads friends.
On Your Free Days
1. Post on Facebook pages on your free day(s):
- Free Ebook Deal http://www.facebook.com/freeebookdeal?sk=wall
- Free Kindle Books & Tips http://www.facebook.com/fkbooksandtips?sk=wall
- Any other groups that you belong to
- Your FB Fan Page
- Your FB Wall
2. Add “Kindle Freebie” and “Kindle Free” tags to your book on Amazon page.
3. Post about your free book on your other social networking sites (Linked In, Stumble Upon, Triberr, Google+, etc.)
4. Tweet like crazy.
5. Get authors in your cross promotion group to tweet like crazy (and thank them for it).
6. Send email newsletter.
7. Post about it on your blog.
8. Get your mouse-clicking refresh-button-hitting finger ready to watch the downloads roll in!
After Your Free Days
1. Don’t lower your price. You just did a lot of hard work to generate sales by offering it free. Keep your book at regular price and enjoy the higher royalties on the new wave of sales.
2. Keep up the momentum for a few days. If your free days ended before the weekend, keep up strong promotion efforts (through social networking) through the weekend.
Christian Genre Specific sites:
- Inspired Reads www.inspiredreads.com – Christian bargain ebooks
- Family Fiction http://www.facebook.com/FamilyFiction – Christian Books
- Christian Books by Indie Authors http://www.facebook.com/pages/Christian-Books-By-Indie-Authors/188636394517963
Do you know of any genre specific sites? If you’d like to share them, please leave a comment below. Thanks!
UPDATE 05/31/2012: Before rushing out to sign up for KDP Select, read the rest of my story: The Pros and Cons of KDP Select
UPDATE 01/27/2013: After six months away from KDP Select, I make almost 27% of my income on B&N. I strongly encourage authors to use KDP Select for new releases for the first 90 days, then use other retailers to broaden your reach.
Best-selling self-published author, Karen Baney, enjoys sharing information to help authors learn about the Business of Writing. She holds a Masters of Business Administration from Arizona State University and has worked in various business related career fields for the past 20 years. She writes Christian Historical Fiction and Contemporary Romance novels. To learn more about her novels visit her website: karenbaney.com. Authors can find tips and information on self-publishing and marketing at: www.myauthorservices.com.
Karen and her husband, Jim, also run several online businesses. They make their home in Gilbert, AZ, with their two dogs.